Fort Leonard Wood, MO MuseumsPulaski County:
The Old Stagecoach Stop was built as a hotel and stop on the St. Louis stagecoach route in the 1850s. It has worn many different hats over the years as hospital during the Civil War, a dentist's office, and a boarding house for Army soldiers building Fort Leonard Wood. It is now a museum of history relating to Pulaski County.
There are several US Army museums located at Fort Leonard Wood: The US Army Chemical Corps Museum, US Army Engineer Museum, US Army Military Police Corps Museum, and the WWII Museum Complex.
Frisco Depot Museum- displays Frisco Railroad history and trains from the San Francisco-St. Louis lines started in the late 1870s.
Pulaski County Courthouse Museum, built in 1903, features early judge and jury boxes and pieces from the Pentagon and World Trade Center.
Blue Bonnet Special Steam Train- This 350,000 pound train is one of only 30 of its kind built in 1923 and is on display year-round in town.
The Governor's Mansion is one of the country's oldest Governor's homes, dating back to 1871. The ornate mansard roof, dormer windows, grand stairway and many period furniture pieces are original or restored to their original states. Tours are available certain days of the week, including many school field trips.
The Jefferson Landing is the historical site of the Lohman Building, built in 1859 as a general store and the city's largest warehouse, and the Union Hotel which now houses the Elizabeth Rozier Gallery, featuring Missouri history and art.
Missouri State Highway Patrol Safety Education Center and Museum offers the state's most comprehensive collection of items and history related to law enforcement, traffic safety, and highway patrol. Exhibits include historic police cars, guns, handcuffs, and how technology plays a role in investigations.
The Missouri State Museum houses exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the state. Some topics include the state government and its buildings, the Civil War, and historic people.
The Missouri State Penitentiary Museum is dedicated to preserving and telling the story and history of what was once the country's largest prison at the time it was built, 1836. The prison itself has suspended tours for the near future, however the museum has many historical images and artifacts at its location in the Jefferson City Convention and Visitors Center.
The Missouri Veterinary Medical Foundation Museum holds over 1,000 artifacts from the 16th century to today relating to veterinary medicine. Objects range from 18th-19th century instruments and equipment to manuscripts on horse care from the early Missouri settlers. This is the only museum in the U.S. dedicated to veterinary medicine.
The Museum of Missouri Military History begins with the Missouri Militia, the predecessor of the Missouri National Guard, beginning in 1808, and follows its history through every major conflict and war up to the present day. The museum is located at the National Guard's Ire Skelton Training Center, so identification is necessary.
The State Capitol Building was completed in 1917 and is the third one in Jefferson City. Reminiscent of the nation's capitol, the building has two columned porticos and a large dome topped with a statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture. Other notable statues, which are throughout the building and grounds, include a bronze of Thomas Jefferson, a relief scene of the Louisiana Purchase, and a bronze Lewis and Clark on either side of the grand staircase.